Concussion Services Program Information & Referral Criteria
According to the Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation, “10 to 15% of individuals who incur mTBI will continue to experience significant symptoms beyond the normal recovery period of three months (Iverson, 2005), which can include post-traumatic headache, sleep disturbance, disorders of balance, cognitive impairments, fatigue, and mood or affective disorders. With the high incidence of mTBI this potentially translates to a significant number of individuals who may experience associated disability”
Part of Brain Care Centre’s Vision is to “maximize individual potential through compassionate, evidence-based and innovative programs and services”.
The Concussion Services Program was developed with evidence-based best practices for the mild traumatic brain injury population. The services offered include: one-on-one counselling with a cognitive-behavioural therapeutic focus to develop coping strategies, address any co-morbid disorders, and improve quality of life and occupational therapy to develop compensatory strategies and increase independence. Brain Care Centre has also recently added a Concussion Support Group and Assistive Device Training to the Concussion Management Program. This program is limited to a 3 month time period, which can be extended if appropriate.
Program Referral Criteria
Brain Care Centre will now only serve individuals in the concussion program who have a CURRENT (within the last 12 months) diagnosis of Post-Concussion Syndrome from a certified health professional.
Concussion Services Program is available to those individuals that are seeking support associated with prolonged symptoms of a mild traumatic brain injury. Criteria and documentation required for this program are as follows:
- The injury occurred at least 3 months to a year prior.
- Medical diagnosis of concussion, multiple concussions, post-concussion syndrome, persistent symptoms of concussion, or mild traumatic brain injury.
- All other medical treatments to manage symptoms have been exhausted.
- Completed Referral for Concussion Services Program form by a healthcare professional. We do not accept self-referrals for this program at this time.
- Both forms need to be filled out before submitting the referral.
- Medical documentation supporting the diagnosis and/or event that caused the injury of concussion, multiple concussions, post-concussion syndrome, persistent symptoms of concussion, or mild traumatic brain injury.
- Any other supporting documentation, such as: CT scan, MRI, neurologist report, neuropsychological assessment, etc.
Please note that at this time our agency does not have funding to dedicate full-time staff for this service. Our current resources allow us to accept two new clients per month into this program. If you are interested in learning how you can support the growth of this program, please contact Dr. Garnet Cummings, Executive Director, Brain Care Centre.
(780) 477-7575 Ext 130